Checklist for moving home in Wollongong
The following is a useful checklist designed to help you with your move into your new rental property.
Preparing for your move
• Begin planning the logistics of the move. Start assessing everything that needs to be done as soon as you know you are going to move house. Getting quotes, choosing a removalist and sorting through household goods all takes time.
• Decide on the date of the move. If you are moving into, or out of, an apartment complex, contact the building manager or concierge to check the rules concerning move-ins/outs and to schedule a time for your move. Once this has been done, contact your removalist or truck hire company to make a booking.
• Make a list of who you need to notify with your new address. As well as family and friends you may need to notify the following:
– Taxation office
– Local council
– Electoral office
– Phone company
– Mobile service provider
– Internet service provider
– Satellite TV provider
– Gas company
– Electricity company
– Water company
– Previous real estate agency
– Insurance companies – including car, home contents etc
– Superannuation fund
– Your employer
– Child carers
– Magazine subscriptions and mail outs you wish to continue to receive
– Gym memberships and other memberships
• Contact your property manager and make sure that your bond is paid and lease is signed for your new property well before the move in date. If you are moving out of a rental property, arrange a time with the real estate agent for the final inspection.
• File a change-of-address/mail redirection form with the post office at least a week before you move.
• Start packing as soon as you can – and clean as you go. Number and label each box with the room it will be going to in your new home. When the boxes are being carried in, they can be placed directly in the correct room, so all that needs to be done is to put the contents away.
• Arrange the utility connections for your new home.
The day before you move
• Pack a box of useful items you will need to find quickly – such as extra packing tape, a marker pen, and things you will need for the first night in your new home.
• Disconnect the washing machine so it can drain before it gets moved.
• Turn off the fridge and ensure it is empty before the removalists arrive.
• Double check you haven’t forgotten anything!
• Once everything is out of the house give it a final clean.
• Check that all boxes come off the truck (this is why it’s handy to have them numbered).
Immediately after the move
• If you are moving out of a rental property, arrange to have the carpets steam cleaned and return the keys to the agent.
• Organise for deliveries such as newspapers and so on to re-commence.